Sheila's ankle started complaining yesterday, but with enough ibuprofen, plus ice provided by the ship's bar, we opted for the Zodiac excursion to Kapp Lee, to get another close look at some walrus. The walking was a bit more strenuous than it first appeared, going up and over a ridge rather than along the beach, but it seems to have worked out OK and was totally worth it for the photos. Not only walrus, but reindeer AND an amazing landscape!
Svalbard Reindeer are shorter, stockier, and have denser fur than other reindeer.
They are also more closely-related to North American Caribou than to other reindeer!
A group of walrus at sea is a "raft of walrus". There's a different collective noun for them when they are on land. I present to you "an ugly of walrus"!
Then as we reboarded the Zodiacs to head back to the ship, some curious walrus swam over to look at these odd creatures that were invading their space. I got a short video, but it won't load over the ship's wifi. I'll try again when I get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment